Beefield

Killaan Parish

Aisling Deely

Beefield Townland
Ordnance Survey Ireland

Beefield, Woodlawn

Beefield

The Gaelic term for this townland Cluain Beach means meadow pasture.  Beefield is a townland in the civil parish of Killaan in the electoral district of Kilconnel.  It is situated in the North West of the parish in the barony of Kilconnel, bounded by Woodlawn, Gortlemon and Coppanagh townlands.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838)

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings of this townland; Beefield Cluain Beach,.Beefield By. Sketch Map, Beefield Francis B. Foster, Esq, Beefield John Eyre Trench, Esq, Beefield, Larkin’s Map, Beefield Manus Ward, Esq,.  Beefield was owned by Lord Ashtown, held by deed for ever which contains a.r.p. all of which is arable of a middling quality, except about 5 acres of bog.  County Cess included with Ashbrook.

Down Survey

The Down Survey Map (1641) Beefield in ownership of McGeorge Walter McRedmond (Catholic).  The Down Survey Map (1670) Beefield in ownership of Leonard John Protestant Rush Thomas Protestant.  “Profitable Land 71 plantation” acres “unprofitable” land 90 acres “Forfeited” plantation land.

Griffith’s Valuation

The area of the townland of Beefield is 42 acres 3 roods and 25 perches of land.  The valuation of the land was £10 10s and 0d.  The valuation of the buildings was £1. 10s. and 0d.  The total valuation of property was £21. 0s. and 0d.

Lord Ashtown owned all the land in Beefield.

Tithe Applotment (1825)

In 1825 Beefield held 82 acres 3 roods and 0 perches which was occupied by 4 tenant’s.

John Donohue held 7 acres, 3 roods, and 23 perches of land and had a total valuation of £9. 0s. and 7 ½ d. He paid £0. 3s. and 6d. of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0. 1s. and 9d.  The ecclesiastical commissioners received £0. 0s. and 10 ½ d.

Wm Donohue held 13 acres, 3 roods, and 32 perches of land and had a total valuation of £6. 11s. and 2d. He paid £0. 6s. and 0d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0. 6s. and 0d.  The ecclesiastical commissioners received £0. 0s. and 7d.

Joseph Hall held 0 acres, 1 rood, and 15 perches of land and had a total valuation of £0. 10s. and 4d.  He paid £0. 0s. and 2d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0. 0s. and 1 ½ d.  The ecclesiastical commissioners received £0. 0s. and ½ d.

Denis Healy held 9 acres, 0 roods, and 25 ½ perches of land and had a total valuation of £10. 16s. and 6d. He paid £0. 4s. and 2 ½ of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0. 3s. and 2d.  The ecclesiastical commissioners received £0. 1s and 0 ½ d.

Census 1901

The census lists 1 household in the townland of Beefield in 1901, comprising of the following family Cahill.  There were 7 residents in total.  All residents were Roman Catholic.  All of the occupants were born in Co. Galway. The head of the household was Martin Cahill.  The census form that was collected on April 5th April 1901 showed a private house.

Martin Cahill (27) was married to Bridget (25), Martin worked as a Shepherd.  They lived with their five children Edward (7), Thomas (4) Norah (6), Agnes (2) and Margaret.  Martin and Bridget could read and write. Edward and Norah were listed as Scholars and could read and write.  The Cahill family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and 3 rooms. Lord Ashtown owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 farm building.

Census 1911

The census listed 1 household in the townland of Beefield in 1911,  Telfer.  There were 4 residents in total.  All of the occupants were born in Scotland. All of the occupants were Presbyterian Established C Scotland.  The head of the household was John Telfer.  The census form that was collected on April 8th 1911 showed 1 house listed as a private dwelling and 5 farm buildings 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 coal house.

John Telfer (40) was married to Mary J. (30). John worked as a Shepherd. They lived with their two children Jane M (10) and Willie (7).  John and Mary J could read and write.  Jane M and Willie were listed as scholars.  Jane M and Willie could read and write. The Telfer family lived in a 2nd class house with 3 front windows and the house had 4 rooms. Lord Ashtown owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 cow house, 1 calf house, 1 piggery, 1 fowl house and 1 coal house.

 

This page was added on 17/06/2019.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *