Castlebin North

Killaan Parish

A. Deely

Recorded Monument GA086:074 (Ringfort) Castlebin North
B. Doherty

Castlebin North

Castlebin North

The Gaelic term for this townland Caisleain na Bine which means ‘Castle of the Peak’ or ‘Pointed Hill’. Castlebin North is a townland in the civil parish of Killaan in the electoral district of Killaan, the barony of Kilconnell and county of Galway.  It is situated mostly in the western side of the parish in the barony of Kilconnell bounded in the same barony by Skehanna South, Tooreen, Gortfadda, Castlebin East, Castlebin South, in this parish and by Clonbennis in the parish of Grange.

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books (1838)

O’Donovan’s Field Name Books provides various spellings of this townland Castlebin North, Caislean na Bine, Castlebin North, Castlebin North By. Sketch Map, Castlebin Co. Alph. List, Castlebin North Francis B. Foster, Esq., Castlebin North John Eyre Trench, Esq., Castlebin Larkin’s Co. Map, Castlebin North Manus Ward, Esq., Castlebin North Rev. Mr. CollisIt is the property of Lord Ashtown held by deed for ever.  It pays £2 9s and 3d County Cess.  Contains a.r.p. about 20 acres of which is bog, the remainder arable and pasture, a great portion of this townland is under sheep walks.

Down Survey

The Down Survey Map (1641) in ownership of Earl of Protestant Clanrickard.  The Down Survey Map (1670) in ownership of the same name.

Griffith’s Valuation

The area of the townland of Castlebin North is 201 acres, 1 rood and 24 perches of land.  The valuation of the land was £208. 12s. and 0d.  The total valuation of the property was £208 12s and 0d.

Patrick Raftery paid a total valuation of £208 0s and 0d for land.

John Feeney paid a total valuation of £0 12s and 0d for land.

Tithe Applotment

In 1825 Castlebin North held 319 acres 0 roods and 0 perches which was occupied by 16 tenant’s.

John Cahilan held 17 acres 0 roods and 29 perches of land for a total valuation of £1 11s and 10d.  He paid £15 3s and 6d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 4s and 4d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 1s 5 1/4d.

Michael Callaman held 3 acres 0 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £0 5s and 0d.  He paid £2 14s and 0d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 0s 9 1/2d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s and 3d.

Edmund Cassidy held 14 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £2 7s and 6d.  He paid £11 11s and 0 1/2d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 3s and 4d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 1s and 1 1/4d.

John Connor held 7 acres 1 rood and 34 perches of land for a total valuation of £1 16s and 11d.  He paid £0 2s and 11 1/4d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 2s and 2 1/2d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s and 8 3/4d.

Patt Doolan held 152 acres 3 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £52 15s and 0d.  He paid £1 12s and 1 1/2d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received 4 8s and 5 1/2d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £3 6s and 4d.

John Feeny held 0 acres 2 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £0 12s and 7d.  He paid £0 0s and 3/4d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 0s and 3d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s and 2 1/2d.

Michl Higgins held 4 acres 1 rood and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £0 10s and 0d.  He paid £0 0s and 7 3/4d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 0s and 3d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s 2 1/2d.

James Hobbins held 9 acres 2 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £13 7s and 7d.  He paid £0 1s and 4 3/4 of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 5s and 7 1/4d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 4s and 2 1/2d.

Patt Hughes held 33 acres 0 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £6 0s and 0d.  He paid £0 5s and 2 3/4d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £1 0s and 9 1/4d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 15s and 7d.

Thomas McDermott held 2 acres 3 roods and 10 perches of land for a total valuation of £0 12s and 6d.  He paid £0 0s and 0d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 0s and 6d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s and 2d.

Patt Naughton held 44 acres 0 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £63 18s and 8d.  He paid £7 0s and 8d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £1 0s and 0d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 6s and 8d.

Thomas Phillips held 23 acres 2 roods and 17 perches of land for a total valuation of £0 6s and 1d.  He paid £0 9s and 2d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 6s and 10 1/2d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 2s and 3 1/2d.

Patt Raftery held 8 acres 3 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £1 17s and 6d.  He paid £0 2s and 2 1/2d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 1s and 0d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s 6 1/2d.

Patt Ryan held 7 acres 0 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £1 0s and 0d.  He paid £0 2s and 0d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 1s and 6d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 0s and 6d.

Luke Ryan held 27 acres 2 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £5 10s and 0d.  He paid £44 0s and 0d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £0 12s and 11d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 4s 3 1/2d.

Patt Trumple held 61 acres 3 roods and 0 perches of land for a total valuation of £10 0s and 0d.  He paid £100 11s and 3d of a tithe tax.  The Rector received £1 9s and 7d while the Ecclesiastical Commissioners received £0 9s 16 3/4d.

Census 1901

The census lists 1 household for the townland of Castleben North in 1901, comprising of the following family Keary.  There were seven residents in total.  All of the occupants were Roman Catholic.  All of the occupants were born in Co. Galway.  The head of the household was Martin Keary.  The census form collected on April 1st  1901 showed one house listed as a private house .

Martin Keary (59) was married to Hanoria (56).  They lived with their 5 children his John (28), Thomas (26), Martin (22), Kate (17) and Bridget (15).  Martin worked as a herd while there was no listed occupation for his wife Hanoria..  Both Martin and Hanoria spoke Irish and English and could read and write.  John, Thomas and Martin were listed as Farm Servants.  Kate and Bridget were listed as Scholars.  All of the children spoke English and could read and write.  The Keary family lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms.  The house walls were made of stone, brick and concrete and the roof was made of slate iron and tile.  Lord Ashtown owned the land on which the house was situated.

Census 1911

The census lists 1 household for the townland of Castlebin North in 1911, comprising of the following family Keary.  There were five residents in total.  All of the occupants of the household were Roman Catholic.  All of the occupants of the household were born in Co. Galway.  The head of the household was Martin Keary.  The census form collected on April 3rd 1911 showed 1 house listed as a private dwelling along with  7 outer buildings (1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, I piggery, 1 barn and 2 sheds).

Martin Keary (74) was married to Honoria (67).  They lived with their 3 children his John (38), Thomas (36), and Katie (26).  Martin worked as a Shepherd while there was no listed occupation for his wife Hanoria.  Both Martin and Honoria spoke Irish and English and could read and write.  John was listed as an Agricultural Labourer.  Thomas was listed as a Shepherd.  There was no listed occupation for Katie.  John, Thomas and Katie could read and write.  The Keary family lived in a 2nd class house with 2 front windows and the house had 2 rooms.  The house walls were made of stone, brick and concrete and the roof was made of slate, iron and tile.  Lord Ashtown owned the land on which the house was situated along with 1 stable, 1 cow house, 1 dairy, 1 piggery, 1 barn and 2 sheds).

Recorded Monuments

GA086-070—-

Class: Ringfort – unclassified

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description:  On a ridge in grassland. Poorly preserved subcircular rath (N-S 55m, ESE-WNW 52.2m) defined by a bank and external fosse. The bank survives from ESE through S to WSW; elsewhere a scarp forms the enclosing element. The fosse survives from S to WNW. Numerous breaches in the bank appear modern. The td. boundary wall cuts the monument at ESE and WNW.

GA086-071—-

Class: Ringfort – unclassified

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: On a ridge in grassland. Poorly preserved circular rath (D c. 36m) defined by two banks and an intervening fosse. The fosse and outer bank survive from SSE through S to W, no visible surface trace survives elsewhere. A trackway cuts the monument from N through E to SSE. The enclosing elements are breached by numerous gaps.

GA086-072—-

Class: Enclosure

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: At S end of a drumlin in grassland. A poorly preserved subcircular enclosure (N-S 38.5m, E-W 31m) defined by a scarp. A number of field boundaries cut the monument which has been quarried out from SW to W.

GA086-073—-

Class: Ringfort – unclassified

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: In low-lying grassland. Subcircular rath (WSW-ENE 36.7m, NNW-SSE 32.8m), in fair condition, defined by two banks and an intervening fosse. Both banks and fosse survive only from NW to N; elsewhere a degraded inner scarp forms the enclosing element. A gap at WNW could be original.

Class: Ringfort – unclassified

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: On a prominent hillock in grassland. Oval ringfort (NNW-SSE 51m, WSW-ENE 34.2m) defined by a bank of earth and stone which survives from SSE through W to N; elsewhere a scarp forms the enclosing element. Possible entrance at NNE. In NW sector of the interior, a linear bank (L 13.4m), running ENE-WSW, is probably an internal division.

GA086-075—-

Class: Enclosure

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: At S end of a glacial ridge in grassland. A very poorly preserved D-shaped enclosure (E-S 45m, NNW-SSE 40m) defined by a scarp overlain by a wall from E to SW, and disturbed by quarrying from SW to NNW. From N to E, an external fosse is present. Traces of a rectangular stone structure (NW-SE 9.3m, E-W 6.4m) and several mounds and hollows are visible within the interior. Possible entrance at NNW. Local tradition of a castle (GA086-078—-) within the interior.

GA086-076—-

Class: Enclosure

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: On a hillock in grassland, adjacent to td. boundary. Marked on OS 6-inch maps as a circular enclosure (D c. 30m). A silage pit has been built on the monument and no visible surface trace survives.

GA086-077—-

Class: Ringfort – rath

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: In level grassland. Poorly preserved oval rath (WSW-ENE 62.7m, N-S 50m) defined by a scarp and external fosse. The fosse survives from NE through E to SE. A field wall cuts the monument at WNW and ENE.

GA086-078—-

Class: Castle – unclassified

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: Traditionally regarded as being located within enclosure (GA086-075—-). The OS Letters (O’Flanagan 1927, Vol. 1, 609) refer to an old castle, known as ‘Caislean na binne’, after which the td. was named. No visible surface trace survives. According to local information, stone from the castle was reputedly used to build the gate lodge at Woodlawn House, c. 1.5km to NE.

GA086-079—-

Class: Quarry

Townland: CASTLEBIN NORTH

Description: At the W end of a glacial ridge in an area of pastureland. A hachured feature marked on the 1947-8 revision of the OS 6-inch map proved on inspection in 1986 to be a disused quarry. As it is of post-AD 1700 date it does not come within the remit of the Archaeological Survey of Ireland.

 

 

 

This page was added on 23/05/2016.

No Comments

Start the ball rolling by posting a comment on this page!

Add a comment about this page

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *